As I remember, I was very studious, obedient, good boy kind of a person during my school days and I did not know any other places except walking from home to school. I used to start 20 minutes before the start time, it would take about 20 minutes to walk down to the school which was about 1.2miles away. School ends at 5pm and I used to be home at 5:20’ish, to go to the evening classes at 6:30pm and that was bout 10 minutes away from home. It used to be busy days in general.
However, in the midst of these, I recall few instances where we (about 4-5 kids) used to take off from school, not letting anyone know and back home around the same time we would return from school. so what did we do for those hours…
1. “mara kothi aata” –> I don’t know the English version of this name. all the kids except one, used to climb up trees (about 3 minutes away from school) and one on the ground. Monkeys (kids) on the tree should jump around the branches and jump over to another tree. One on the floor needs to catch the kid jumping over. If caught, that kid’s turn to watch out for other monkeys. This was fun
2. Tamarind Tree: There were about 5 tamarind trees about 5 minutes away from our school. Go over there and throw stones at tamarind. We used to eat those so much at the time. We would do this until either some one get hurt or if any home owners around the trees come after us.
3. about half hour from the school, were beautiful Grapes fields. This used to be fun, go over to the fields, pluck bunches of green grapes, oh! yummyy!!!! eat ‘em all, and back to school in another hour or two.
4. around the same place where grapes fields were, there were few creeks on the way. We used to get into the creeks. we did not know swimming, and did not have towels or any, so didn’t really jump in, but still well get wet playing in the creek water. The place used to be lonely, no people around, that means, even if some animals come through, we would not know. that was scary, but we never felt so, back in those days. Oh! we did not know if the creek water was good one or ummm…. umm… back waters :)
5. There was this season called “Cricket“. We used to go some one’s house to watch cricket, during our lunchtime and at times past those lunch hours. I still remember a resident asked us if we were missing classes or if it was off that day, when we knocked the door and requested to allow us inside to watch TV. Well, I think it was a Saturday, and we said the school was over (saturday’s school hours used to be 8am – noon). Watching Cricket at the stores and other homes, did continue during my PU and Engg days as well. hehe
Anyhow, I did not know the word “bunking” classes until I went to the college I think.
Funny thing is, I am blogging about these now, but I don’t think I had ever shared these with my parents or anybody else. I have probably shared few of these memories with my wife. I don’t think I will share these with my 3yr old little girl while telling her the stories – and these would become “of course not” (copyright: Vijay) category.