While driving from work this evening I heard this on Radio that GM is partnering with Segway to come up with a 2-passenger vehicle on Segway’s model and would run on the battery. Following are the facts I heard :
1. moves at 35mph
2. looks elegant but a modified version of Segway
3. GM is probably looking to produce this starting 2012
4. No comments about pricing yet
5. PUMA would have sensor ability to keep away from the vehicles and the pedestrians, making it safer to ride.
few questions posed:
1. would it be safer on our roads?
2. It is very small and not safe to be on road with other vehicles; but it is quite bigger to use on sidewalks
3. What are the designated places this device is intended to be used?
4. cities’ infrastructure department might think of constructing separate lanes for these models like (like the bicycle lane)
PUMA stands for: Personal Urban Mobility and Accessibility
more on huffingtonpost [link]
see more on Segway website: http://www.segway.com/puma/ ; http://www.segway.com/blog/20090406introducing-project-puma-329.html